How to use Safe Updates for updating your WordPress core, plugins and themes
We all know that updates can have unwanted effects on your websites. We are doing our best to make that a thing of the past, and Safe Updates are a step in that direction.
- Safe Updates can only be performed on individual websites for now.
- Safe Updates can only be performed if you have a premium Backup solution on the selected website.
To Safe Update plugins/themes/core on individual websites, go to your Websites screen, hover over a website and click Open website dashboard icon.
You can perform Safe Updates on one website at a time.
In the updates widget, select the plugins that you want to update and click Safe Update. You also have the option of clicking select all, if you want to perform Safe Updates on all plugins.
The process will start automatically and it is done in 7 steps that you can track on your dashboard. Here they are:
- Create a restore point: if something goes wrong, you can roll back the update
- Send an HTTP request to the website: if it’s not 200 OK, we stop the process
- Grab a “before” home page screenshot: we can later compare it with the after screenshot to spot inconsistencies
- Update plugin/theme/core
- Send another HTTP request to the website: if the response is not 200 OK, we let you know
- Grab an “after” home page screenshot
- Show the screenshot comparison: You’ll see the before/after screenshots of the home page, and you’ll have the option to roll back if you see something fishy
Once the plugins are updated, you will see the notification in the upper-right corner. Click Compare to see the screenshots of your website before and after the update.
On the left side of the slider is the website after the update while the website before the update is on the right. Move the slider left or right to see the whole picture.
If there are no changes, click OK to accept the Safe Update. In case something has broken due to the plugin update, click Restore and the changes will be reverted.
Every time you perform a Safe Update on your plugins, we create a new backup and, because of this step, Safe Updates are available only on websites that have the premium Backup tool enabled.
If you need to use the backups that are created during the Safe Update process, you can find them on your Backups screen. The backups are called Safe Update Backup.